Storytelling in the Hook for Your Research Paper Statement
A research paper statement is a short passage explaining what your paper is about. Take some time to write out a clear and accurate thesis statement because it will show how well you have understood your research goals and whether you were able to implement them accurately.
Characteristics of a Great Research Paper Statement
Usually included at the end of the first paragraph of a paper, the statement should:
- be very specific—Include exactly and only what you will discuss in the paper;
- hook the reader immediately;
- be revised as your work progresses;
- accurately reflect what kind of paper it represents (analytical, expository, argumentative or narrative);
- tell the reader how you plan to interpret the significance of your subject matter;
- serve as a road map for the rest of the paper;
- answer a specific question;
- include a claim that is open to dispute.