Both the content and the form of a research paper matter. In case your assignment requires using a certain format, do not neglect specific rules for every formatting style. The most common formats for research papers include MLA, APA, Turabian, Chicago, and Harvard, and they are all unique. Let us examine the MLA format.
MLA (Modern Language Association) is the formatting style most commonly used for research papers in the fields of humanities, linguistics, liberal and other arts. When writing a research paper in MLA format, you are to devote special attention to the page layout and bibliography. Non-compliance with format guidelines may spoil the entire impression of your paper, and lower your mark as well. To avoid this, you need to master MLA formatting rules.
MLA formatting rules are narrowed down to the following aspects:
- Title Page – This is sometimes an optional component of an MLA formatted paper; however, in most cases the title page contains information about the research paper topic, your name, and the name of your scientific advisor/tutor.
- Page Header – This presupposes placing your last name and page numbers in the upper right hand corner of every page.
- General Document Settings – The research paper is most commonly created with Microsoft Word with 12-point Times New Roman font. The margins should be 1 inch on all sides, and the paper is to be double-spaced.
- Citation Rules – Citations are to be carefully formatted as well. You may use in-text citations and list the sources used at the end of the paper. The rules differ in accordance with the citation you need (block or in-line quotations, paraphrase citing, etc.).
- Works Cited (not “References” or “Bibliography”) – Be sure to include the list of cited sources on a separate page at the end of the research paper. This page will contain all the periodical, non-periodical, web, or print publications used in the research process and should be listed in alphabetical order. Also, do not forget to include full details for every source (the author’s name, the book’s title, number of pages, publication year, etc.).
In the majority of cases, you will only need to master the rules of MLA research paper formatting once and then use them while composing your papers. Still, you are always free to order custom paper formatting. In this case, professional editors and writers will grant their services to you. Quick and accurate formatting is carried out for every research paper. Ordering custom formatting for your written assignment will save you’re time and effort you could spend on more pleasant activities.